PORC Forums

Go Back   PORC Forums > The Main Trail > PORC Chatter

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #31
lightningcow
Feral Piglet

There was a pine laying across Valley that I cut today. Any others on the udubz side? I only got to do a white loop today.
lightningcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #32
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

Anyone have an idea for how to fix and prolong the lips of a couple of our trails? Specifically talking about sections of Donkey Kong and Tango where on the uphill side the lip is beginning to erode away and expose roots which are a bit more difficult to go up? The lips on those two sections are becoming more vertical.
Pilotman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #33
Endo
Crisis mode

Both of those trails are in the "advanced" category so they should be vertical and difficult in places. If there's a serious erosion issue (like gullies) then it is good to stop the erosion but making the trail easier may not be the best thing for those particular trails, IMHO.
Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #34
Kcid
Domestic Piglet

Should something be posted as to which trails are listed for advanced riders?
Kcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
Endo
Crisis mode

Great question.

For Games it is:

Pink - beginner - easy
Purple - Intermediate - a little tougher
Orange only (the Arcade section) - advanced - tough

On main side, green should be easy, red less so, blue should be tough.

This site also provides good details on each trail:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...il-system-2015
Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #36
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

I'm not saying to make the trails easier to ride. The erosion is getting more aggressive and as such riders are taking the sides which is accelerating the erosion and widening. The erosion is what needs to be handled. I can ride the trails as they are but I can see it becoming impassible soon without getting off your bike, walking up the embankment and again accelerating the erosion.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #37
Endo
Crisis mode

What part of Donkey Kong do you think has aggressive erosion issues?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #38
Kcid
Domestic Piglet

May be where Donkey Kong ends and Paper Boy begins.
I had not been on that side in awhile. Road it last weekend. Looks like somebody may have cut the roots out that were on the edge of that point of the trail.
Kcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #39
bonescro
AKA Ron Hill

Yep. When I rode it two Saturdays ago, the root was still there. Dropoff was not bad, but certainly not good for the reverse direction. When I rode it the next day the root was gone. I'd hoped for this for awhile, although I was hesitant to do it myself.
bonescro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
Endo
Crisis mode

Default modify your skills, not the trail.

I kinda liked the root on DK ... was fun to drop off of & was avoidable from other direction although you had to concentrate a little.

If you've ever ridden Oak Mountain, you know Blood Rock is tough - if not dangerous - but they have not removed the boulders or built a re-route after 20+ years. In fact if you ride other places outside Florida you realize we don't have difficult trails at all .... and easy trails get boring which is why I've always hated to see our trails get dummied-down.

Nothing wrong with walking a tough spot until you can learn to ride it. That's why God gave mountain bikers legs.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #41
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo View Post
I kinda liked the root on DK ... was fun to drop off of & was avoidable from other direction although you had to concentrate a little.

If you've ever ridden Oak Mountain, you know Blood Rock is tough - if not dangerous - but they have not removed the boulders or built a re-route after 20+ years. In fact if you ride other places outside Florida you realize we don't have difficult trails at all .... and easy trails get boring which is why I've always hated to see our trails get dummied-down.

Nothing wrong with walking a tough spot until you can learn to ride it. That's why God gave mountain bikers legs.
My desire here is not to make trails easier to ride but fix areas of erosion so they don't continue to degrade. So what do we do for those drop in lips which are eroding to stop the erosion?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #42
Endo
Crisis mode

That's respectable. Usually gullies are the indicative sign of erosion....that said, for Donkey Kong - I checked it out Sunday and rode it both ways and I didn't really see any discernible erosion (gullies) so in my opinion it is okay. Since the vertical "lips" don't have a gully washout, I'm not sure if that constitutes erosion.

However, there are a few erosion spots starting on Games though - such as Twister, Labyrinth climb-out, the lower part of Break-out, and the intersection where Breakout meets Centipede.

WTF does have some serious gullies in a couple of spots...especially by Gulf Power.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #43
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Donkey Kong is solid right now, and Id like to make sure we keep it that way. Those others you mentioned I agree and would like someone to just make a discussion how to fix each so we can do it. Id like to help but with Elder approved direction.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #44
Endo
Crisis mode

Sounds good. For what it's worth, I'm the architect of most of Games, including DK.... no one wants to see it stay erosion-free more than me..... That said, I can buy a shovel and keep it strategically hidden for work on the fly if interested. Of all the bad places mentioned on Games I'd say the part near Centipede is the worst so we can start there.

Last edited by Endo; 01-13-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #45
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Wanna tackle that part of Centipede on Saturday morning? I was going to go fly but it appears I do not have anyone to safety pilot for me (unless you are multi-engine rated yourself).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: